A woman has died after choking during an Australia Day lamington eating competition in South East Queensland.
The woman, aged in her sixties, was taking part in the event at the Beach House Hotel at Scarness, in Hervey Bay, at 2:00pm yesterday when she had a seizure.
Witnesses said the pub’s security guard and manager rushed to her aid and started performing CPR while an ambulance was called.
Della Firth wrote on Facebook that she had spoken to the woman earlier in the day.
Ms Frith said the woman went into arrest after she “shovelled the lamington into her mouth”.
“The pub was very quick to respond with CPR, and the ambulance rocked up soon, but working on her over half a hour (sic) it didn’t look good.”
Paramedics took the woman to Hervey Bay Hospital but she could not be revived and later died.
Police are investigating the death and will prepare a report for the coroner.
The woman joins a number of fatalities in competitive eating competitions.
In 2012, a 32-year-old man died in Florida while competitively eating cockroaches as a result of “asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents”.
In 2013, a 64-year-old Australian man died in a pie eating contest at a pub in Townsville.
The Beach House Hotel has been contacted for comment.