In a radio interview on Tuesday morning, principal Kristen Sharpe said the Stuartholme students would still be able to attend lessons if they showed no signs of illness during daily medical checks each morning.
An 11th student is among those within the cordoned-off cities in Hubei.
“At this point in time the recommendation from Queensland Health is that if there are no signs they will be allowed to go to class,” she told ABC Radio Brisbane.
“We’ll be looking after them the best we can. It is equally important that they feel safe and supported through this as well.”
“Every boarding school would be concerned about this and trying to manage it the best they can.”
The school had been in communication with parents this week informing them of the decision.
Four people were tested for the virus by health authorities in Queensland on Monday, though there is yet to be any confirmed cases. The University of NSW has confirmed one international student, a Chinese woman, had tested positive – the fifth case in Australia.
The latest statistics from Chinese authorities put the number killed by the virus at 81, with more than 3000 people infected – mostly in the country’s Hubei province.
Marist College Ashgrove has advised parents to “keep an eye on” children and contact medical professionals and the college if there were any concerns in a post to its Facebook page.
Sharing advice from the federal and state health departments, the school advised students with links to Wuhan, the Hubei province or another confirmed case not to attend school and consult with their doctor or health provider.
John Paul College was reported to have asked students returning from high risk areas to stay home until they passed the incubation period or a doctor’s test, with Ipswich Grammar School monitoring the health of international students in the first weeks of term.
Griffith University will take advice from health authorities and keep its students – both domestic and those returning from overseas – updated on the situation ahead of their return in later February.
“Griffith is providing advice and support to students and staff in line with the advice from health authorities,” a spokesperson said.
University of Queensland and Queensland University of Technology have been contacted for comment.
Queensland Education Minister Grace Grace said she had met with the state’s chief medical officer on Monday, who was satisfied with the action schools were taking.
“We’ve issued alerts, all schools have been contacted with information, updated fact sheets, what they’re to do and not to do,” Ms Grace also said on radio.
Matt Dennien is a reporter for the Brisbane Times.