“[They] are being tested for coronavirus and we will get those results later [on Thursday],” she said.
She said the other four who were still feeling well could not be tested for coronavirus until they displayed symptoms of the disease.
Dr Young confirmed Queensland Health was testing 41 people across the state for coronavirus, including the four on the Gold Coast.
“All 41 are people who have been in China over the last 14 days and have developed symptoms, and they’re now being tested,” she said.
The tour group, including the man who has tested positive, travelled from Melbourne on Tigerair flight TT566, landing on January 27 on the Gold Coast at 8pm.
The man began feeling sick on the flight, and went to the group’s Gold Coast hotel, eventually calling medical authorities and being taken to hospital about 3.30pm on Tuesday.
Dr Young said medical authorities would approach passengers on the flight and recommend people who had been sitting near the group go into isolation themselves.
“[The flight] had around 150 to 200 passengers, we will contact every single passenger,” she said.
“Those passengers who were sitting two rows in front and behind of this cohort, once we’ve managed to identify their seats, we’ll be asking them to go into isolation.”
What we know
- The tour group came from Wuhan and stopped in Singapore before flying to Australia.
- They left Singapore on either January 21 or 22, and landed in Melbourne on January 22.
- The group spent the next five days in the Victorian capital.
- The tour group boarded Tigerair flight TT566 on January 27 at 7.44pm AEDT and landed at the Gold Coast Airport at 8.45pm AEST.
- The passenger was travelling on a booking with one other person and they were seated in 11A and 11B.
- The 44-year-old developed symptoms on the flight, which was carrying about 150-200 passengers.
- The man travelled to his Gold Coast hotel, before calling an ambulance. He spent fewer than 24 hours in the hotel.
- The man and four others from the tour group to develop symptoms have been isolated in the Gold Coast University Hospital.
Anyone who was on the flight is being urged to call 13HEALTH for advice about what to do.
More than 7000 people worldwide have been confirmed as having contracted the coronavirus, with 170 people dying from the disease in China.
By Thursday afternoon seven cases were confirmed in Australia – the Queensland case, as well as four in NSW and two in Victoria.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk held a whole-of-government meeting on Thursday to ensure all government departments were on the same page with their response to the outbreak.
“I want a clear government focus on this issue in Queensland,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“My key message to people is to listen to health authorities. We need everyone to be calm, and we are putting in place every possible precaution that we can.”
Dr Young praised the actions of local Chinese communities, some of whom have cancelled Lunar New Year celebrations as a result of the outbreak.
“I thank the Chinese community for their proactive response for how they’ve dealt with this,” she said.
Football team still in lockdown
The confirmation of a live coronavirus case and up to eight potential others comes as a Chinese women’s football team remains in isolation in a Brisbane hotel as a precaution after travelling to the city from Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.
The team was training in Brisbane ahead of an Olympic qualifying tournament in Sydney and the name of the hotel has not yet been released by authorities.
Dr Young confirmed on Thursday none of the players or officials had displayed symptoms of coronavirus, but confirmed they would have to remain isolated at the hotel until February 5, two weeks after they left Wuhan, to ensure they were not carriers.
The chief health officer confirmed she had powers to force the team to remain in the hotel, but stressed they had been co-operative with health authorities.
“We’re working with them at the moment, we want them to remain together and not come into contact with other hotel guests,” she said.
“They’ve been extremely co-operative, as has the Chinese consulate. There’s no risk to anyone in that hotel, the staff or the community.”
Stuart Layt covers health, science and technology for the Brisbane Times. He was formerly the Queensland political reporter for AAP.