“In selecting a date to suspend services Qantas is working to balance high passenger numbers in both directions – including Australian residents wanting to return home from China – with the various travel restrictions being applied.”
Qantas said its services to Hong Kong were exempt from current travel restrictions.
The airline said the suspension could be brought forward if demand levels or other factors change.
“The date for flights to resume will also be regularly reviewed based on the circumstances,” it said.
“Qantas is liaising closely with the Australian government on the impact of these changes to citizens currently in mainland China, and continues to take advice from the World Health Organisation and Australia’s chief medical officer regarding the coronavirus in its decision-making.
“Qantas thanks customers for their understanding and its crew for their professionalism in light of these ongoing developments.”
Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on Saturday called to the Australian government to suspend all flights from China as the death toll from coronavirus rises.
Ms Paslaszczuk told reporters in Brisbane that she backed “recommendations in relation to no more incoming flights until the virus is contained” pointing to American government moves to tighten its borders in response to the disease.
The Trump administration on Friday said it would bar entry of foreign nationals who have travelled to China and declared a public health emergency over the coronavirus outbreak. The US ban on foreign nationals would begin on Sunday (US time).
US citizens who have travelled to China’s Hubei Province within the last 14 days will be subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine and the administration will also limit flights from China to seven US airports.
“I don’t often agree with Donald Trump, but I do agree with the US authorities on this occasion that I think we should take every measure possible to combat this virus,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
However, Ms Palaszczuk urged for calm after a Queensland Disaster Management Committee meeting.
“Everyone should continue their normal daily routines except for a small portion of the community recently returned or arriving from China,” she said.
“Those people need to be self-quarantined.”
It comes as Chinese state media reports 259 people have died and 11,791 cases have been confirmed.
Earlier on Saturday, a Melbourne woman in her 20s who flew to Australia from China last Saturday, was confirmed as the fourth case of coronavirus in Victoria.
The Health Department issued a statement saying the woman had spent time in the city of Wuhan and flew back to Australia on January 25.
More to come
Jamie Berry is a journalist at the Sydney Morning Herald