The authorities in Shanghai have confirmed that a 7-month-old baby girl has contracted the virus. She is the youngest person in the city to catch it, according to the Shanghai Daily.
The girl’s maternal grandparents came back to Shanghai from a trip to Wuhan on 20 January, an official said. He said the case underlined the need for anyone who has travel to Wuhan to disclose their movements to the authorities.
There are also reports of a confirmed case in a one-month-old in Guizhou.
Officials from the world’s largest oil producers are meeting in Vienna, the headquarters of the Opec oil cartel, today and tomorrow, to discuss the sharp slide in the crude oil price following the coronavirus outbreak.
Brent crude fell to its lowest level in more than a year yesterday, of $54.17 a barrel, while US crude dropped below $50 a barrel. Prices have bounced back a bit this morning on hopes of further production cuts.
Technical experts from Opec and its allies, including Russia – a group known as Opec+ – are expected to debate a cut of around 500,000 a barrels a day in Vienna, and whether to hold an emergency meeting of energy ministers in mid-February.
Analysts at Goldman Sachs said in a note:
“Oil prices are now at levels where we would expect a supply response from both Opec and shale producers, and where China would likely seek to build crude inventories.”
At the same time, some calm has returned to world stock markets following last week’s heavy losses. Chinese central bankers have pumped extra liquidity into markets and perhaps instructions from authorities “not to panic” are working. All Asian and European stock markets are higher.
Chinese stocks rose between 1.3% and 1.8% and in London, the FTSE 100 index is up 1.5% at 7434.39, a gain of more than 100 points.
Business Live has more:
at 3.59am EST
at 3.38am EST
Belgian woman on a repatriation flight tests positive
A Belgian woman who was on a repatriated flight from Wuhan on Sunday has tested positive for the coronavirus, Belgium’s health agency has announced.
In a statement, it said:
The person tested who tested positive shows no signs of illness at the moment. She was transferred last night to Saint Pierre University hospital in Brussels, one of the two reference centres in our country. This hospital has all the expertise and support necessary to guarantee the best care.
The agency said all nine Belgium’s on the flight had undergone a series of tests in a military hospital in the capital, Brussels. Eight of them tested negative.
A further person, from Denmark, who had not been able to return home on Sunday, had also tested negative, the agency said.
at 3.14am EST
Reports that a South Korean person has tested positive for coronavirus following a visit to Thailand are likely to cause great concern to Thai officials. The outbreak has already dealt a massive blow to Thailand’s tourism industry, which relies upon Chinese visitors.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand said it expects 2 million fewer Chinese tourists this year than last year, when 11 million visited.
It is feared that tourists from elsewhere may also be deterred from travelling.
Thailand’s public health ministry has warned that an outbreak in a tourist area is possible, and last week the first case of human-to-human transmission was recorded when a taxi driver caught the virus from a traveller.
Taiwan bans entry to foreign nationals who have visited China in 14 days
South Korea has confirmed its 16th case of the coronavirus, reportedly involving a woman who recently returned from Thailand but had not visited China.
The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said the patient, a 42-year-old South Korean woman, started feeling ill on 25 January, six days after she returned from Thailand, according to the Yonhap news agency.
After her condition failed to improve, she was transferred to a general hospital in the city of Gwangju and tested positive for the illness.
The KCDC said the patient had been placed in quarantine while authorities attempt to determine her recent movements and track down people with whom she came into contact.
The case, which South Korean media is describing as one of human-to-human transmission, is reportedly the second involving a person who has not been to China.
The first was a 48-year-old Chinese man who worked as a tour guide in Japan who tested positive after arriving in South Korea, Yonhap said.
Public health authorities in South Korea have so far tested 607 people, 462 of whom were given the all-clear. Among the total, 129 are undergoing further health checks. In addition, more than 1,300 people who have been in contact with patients who tested positive are being monitored for symptoms.
South Korea, like neighbouring Japan, is barring foreign nationals who are from or have passed through Hubei province. The travel ban, which came into effect on Tuesday, applies to all non-Koreans who have been to the Chinese province in the past 14 days.
Macau to shut down casinos for two weeks
at 1.05am EST
at 12.54am EST
Chinese women’s football team trains in ‘corridors’, quarantined in Brisbane hotel
at 12.45am EST