“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is seeking to contact an Australian man hospitalised in the Maldives. Owing to our privacy obligations we will not provide further comment,” a DFAT spokesperson said.
A local radical group affiliated with Islamic State published a video on social media claiming responsibility for the attack.
Police said they were investigating the video, which shows three masked men accusing the Maldivian government of being run by infidels and warned of more attacks to come.
Australian consular officials were on Thursday trying to contact the man.
The Indian Ocean nation, known for its luxury resorts, has been battling Islamic extremism in recent years.
The majority Sunni Muslim country is reported to have had the highest number of foreign fighters in Syria, including Islamic State members.
Local police last year said some of the extremist fighters had returned from Syria and claimed they were spreading radical beliefs in the country.
Maldives Police Service said it had arrested three suspects under a court warrant and would “keep the public informed of any further updates”.
In an earlier statement on Thursday, police said they were investigating the “act of violence perpetrated by suspected extremists” against three foreign nationals between the hours of 7pm and 8pm local time.
“We are continuously monitoring the status of the victims of this heinous attack,” police said.
“We are also establishing the validity of a video circulating on social media claiming to be related to this attack.
“The Maldives Police Service is working closely with all relevant stakeholders in this matter, and assures the public of our continued efforts to ensure the safety and security of all those in Maldives.”
Anthony is foreign affairs and national security correspondent for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.