Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott is facing the possibility of being unable to play because his lawyer claims NSW police are preventing the NRL from viewing vital body-cam footage of the 22-year-old’s Australia Day arrest.
Scott’s future remains up in the air on Monday with NRL chief Todd Greeneberg to decide whether the centre should become the latest player to be stood down under the league’s revolutionary new no fault stand down policy.
To do that however, Greenberg has given Scott’s legal team until 5pm on Monday to produce vision of the arrest which the NRL has so far been unable to access.
But Scott’s Layer Danny Eid claims he can’t action what the NRL is requesting because police have told him they won’t allow the vision to be passed on.
“I have told the NRL by phone, ‘We want you to view it. I would love you to come to my office and sit down with me and view it. But I can’t’,” Eid said.”So what can I do? What can Curtis do?
“You want him to breach legislation? It is just crazy. It is not fair.”
Scott was arrested on Australia Day and faces six charges including allegedly assaulting a police officer.
If the vision cannot be produced to the NRL it is believed Greenberg will make a decision on Scott’s playing future based on the police charge sheet and Scott’s personal denials.
Canberra Raiders star recruit pleads not guilty to police assault
“We are caught in a very unique situation where the footage we all want the NRL to view is one that the police do not permit and have told us in the interim that they will not permit, and they are seeking advice on that point,” Eid said.
“So we have asked them (the police) to consider that point again, ‘will you permit us to release to a third party who is not a legal adviser, either a copy or them to view the footage’? And they have told us they are getting legal advice on it.
“We are caught in the middle and it is unfair for us to be sanctioned because we can’t provide that footage.”