Four more residents have died at an aged care facility in western Sydney after becoming infected with coronavirus, bringing the total number of fatalities at the centre to 11.
- The number of new infections in NSW has been decreasing steadily
- There were just five new cases yesterday, taking the state’s total to 3,009
- Australia’s COVID-19 death toll has risen to 88
In a statement, Anglicare Sydney said it was “deeply saddened” about the deaths, which occurred at Newmarch House in Caddens.
Earlier today, NSW Health confirmed another resident, an 89-year-old woman, died at the facility last night.
The aged care facility has experienced an outbreak of coronavirus after an employee worked six shifts with mild symptoms of the virus.
There have been 88 coronavirus deaths in Australia with 41 of those in NSW alone.
Following the confirmation of the 89-year-old’s death earlier today, Newmarch House’s operator Anglicare Sydney extended their sympathies to the family of the deceased.
“This is a very sad time for the family but also for the residents and staff who knew this resident well,” it said.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with this particular Newmarch family today as they come to terms with their loss.”
Minister for Aged Care Richard Colbeck said he was “devastated” to learn of the four new deaths.
“This is an extraordinary loss and underlines the dangers COVID-19 pose for vulnerable and senior Australians,” he said.
Aspen Medical — the same agency brought in to provide extra support to the stricken crew on the Ruby Princess — had been brought in as “surge staff”.
It was a move, Mr Colbeck said, that was “an important measure aimed at reinforcing staffing levels at aged care facilities directly impacted by outbreaks”.
Earlier today, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirmed the state’s coronavirus restrictions would be slightly relaxed this week to allow people to see their friends.
From Friday, groups of two adults — and their children if they have any — will be able to visit other households for social gatherings.
The Premier said there was an “inherent risk” to easing restrictions but she was “absolutely confident that people will be responsible”.
“Don’t take risks — we don’t want to see the numbers suddenly spike up because people are being irresponsible,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“If you have the mildest sniffle, do not go and visit anybody [or] if you’re feeling slightly unwell or fatigued, don’t risk it.”
The Premier warned the relaxation of the rules wasn’t a “license to go wild and have massive parties”.
The number of new infections in Australia’s worst-affected coronavirus state has been decreasing steadily.
In the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday, there were just five new cases recorded, despite more than 4,000 people being tested.
Since the outbreak began, 3,009 people in NSW have been infected.
The latest figures and changes to restrictions comes as Bondi, Bronte and Tamarama beaches reopened for exercise.
Bondi Beach was closed last month after hundreds of people breached social-distancing restrictions.
It reopened this morning to people who live in the Waverley Council area, with physical distancing being enforced.