Three Canberra residents from the same household have tested positive for coronavirus, a month after the last known positive case in the territory, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has confirmed.
All three cases are linked to the outbreak in Victoria, where more than 100 new cases were recorded today.
Mr Barr said the three people — one woman and two men, all aged in their 20s — had been self-isolating since they first began displaying symptoms of the virus.
Two arrived in the ACT from a Melbourne hotspot on Thursday last week, while the other was infected in the household.
Chief Health Officer Kerryn Coleman said the trio visited two public places in Canberra before testing positive — Fyshwick Markets on Saturday, July 4 between 3:00pm-4:00pm and Westfield Belconnen on Monday, July 6, between 12:00pm-12:30pm.
“We do not believe that these locations pose a high risk to the community,” Dr Coleman said.
She said all three people were tested promptly and ACT Health was given “a lot of information”.
But Mr Barr said it was now unlikely that the planned easing of social-distancing restrictions, which were scheduled to take effect this Friday, would go ahead.
“Given the news today, that we have new cases in the ACT, the community should expect that the implementation of stage three [restrictions] is likely to be postponed, until we have a better understanding of the Victorian outbreak and the impact on the ACT,” he said.
The ACT closed its border to Victorians at 12:01am today, in line with New South Wales, and anyone travelling from Victoria to Canberra will now be denied entry unless they are granted an exemption.
More to come.