With 165 coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours and authorities warning a peak may be yet to come, all eyes have turned to Victoria.
State and territory governments across Australia have moved to shut borders from the country’s second-most populous state.
The closures vary depending where you are.
Victoria says its borders are open, but every other state has effectively locked Victorian travellers out.
Here’s the situation across Australia.
New South Wales
Borders first closed to Victorians on Wednesday, with long queues of vehicles across the state’s southern border with Victoria.
From Thursday afternoon only 12 people had been turned back out of more than 30,000 vehicles that had crossed since the closure.
Police say 88 public health orders have been issued to returning NSW residents who will have to self-isolate for a fortnight.
NSW police commissioner Mick Fuller says people in border towns with permits can cross for necessities.
“We’re only into day two but already we have seen some major improvements in terms of the flow of traffic between the Victorian border towns into NSW,” he said.
“The permit system is still working, there have been tens of thousands of permits issued.”
Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth added another detail during a press conference on Thursday afternoon, where he said both NSW and the ACT had introduced a retrospective isolation for some travellers.
“New South Wales and the ACT have both introduced retrospective isolation for people who have come from Melbourne since June 23,” Dr Coatsworth said.
“[They are] required to quarantine and isolate themselves for 14 days, that is a direct measure to prevent further spread.”
The ACT Government closed its borders to travellers from Victoria on Wednesday, unless those travellers have an exemption to enter.
ACT residents must return to their homes for a 14-day quarantine if they are granted an exemption to travel from Victoria.
Both adults and children are required to notify ACT authorities to get an exemption before travelling.
The state’s borders remain open.
But with every jurisdiction in Australia closing borders to Victorian travellers, authorities have urged people to check the rules at their intended destination.
A large part of the state remains under a stage three lockdown.
All Victorians will be banned from entering Queensland from midday on Friday.
But borders to the rest of the country will open at the same time.
Any Victorian travellers will be turned away at the border with no option of hotel quarantine at their own expense.
The same applies to people from other states who’ve been in Victoria in the two weeks prior to coming to Queensland.
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young says some exemptions will apply, but only in exceptional circumstances.
“If their father or mother is dying, then they can come up to Queensland, they go into mandatory hotel quarantine and if the hospital is able to supervise the interaction and provide PPE, then that person can visit their dying relative,” Dr Young said.
As of Tuesday, Queensland police officers had refused entry to more than 740 people travelling from Victoria.
On Thursday, West Australia Health Minister Roger Cook said it will be much more difficult for Victorians to receive an exemption to bypass the state’s closed state border under new rules beginning at midnight.
Industries which have continued relying on exempt interstate workers, like mining, have been told to source employees locally, or from other eastern states.
Mr Cook says while some valid reasons for an exemption remain, there aren’t many.
“If you have travelled in Victoria in the last 14 days, we do not want you in Western Australia,” he said.
“If you have to return you have to seek an exemption, those exemptions will be particularly tight now, and even if you do get in you will be required to undertake a mandatory test on day 11.”
All South Australians travelling from Victoria will be required to submit themselves for a COVID-19 test within 24 hours of their arrival and be forced to wear a face mask when they do so.
The South Australian Government imposed a hard border closure with Victoria at midnight on Thursday.
The Premier Steven Marshall says all travellers from Victoria will have to self-isolate for 14 days, submit for a coronavirus test within 24 hours, and again 12 days later.
Travellers who arrive at checkpoints will be provided with face masks as well as pre-signed forms for testing, allowing them to go directly to a COVID-19 clinic.
Victorians were banned from entering Tasmania without an exemption from Thursday.
They will be turned around at the border.
A Victorian who flew into the state on Thursday without pre-approval was intercepted and will be sent home.
NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner on Wednesday that the Territory’s borders will stay closed to all of Victoria “until further notice”.
He declared the entire state a coronavirus hotspot.
“I am declaring all of Victoria a hotspot for the purposes of travel to the Northern Territory,” he said.
On July 17, the NT will open its borders to the rest of Australia, and people will be allowed to enter the Territory and move freely without self-isolating first.