The government initially said the hard lockdown would last for five days.
However, detention directions to residents of the towers have the potential to run to 14 days, ending at 3.30pm on Saturday July 18.
Further cases of COVID-19 were found among residents of the buildings yesterday, bringing the total outbreak to 75.
Abbas Mahamed lives in one of the Flemington housing blocks with his wife and five children, aged from six to 18-years-old.
Mr Mahamed said he was anxious about how much longer he and his family of seven would be trapped inside their three-bedroom apartment.
“It’s definitely worrying, my kids really can’t handle it for much longer,” he said.
“We need to know what’s happening. Tell us what’s happening because how can we plan for the future if we don’t know what it is?”
Since the lockdown began, all food and toiletries have been delivered to residents’ doors by health officials.
Many residents have complained about not being given enough food, or being given out of date canned food to eat.
While the supply of food to his family had improved since the first few days, it still didn’t take into consideration his family’s dietary needs, Mr Mahamed said.
“My family only eats Halal but they haven’t given us any Halal meat, and there is no vegetarian or vegan options.”
Until yesterday, the family had also been dealing with a broken garbage chute which meant rubbish was piling up in their apartment, Mr Mahamed said.
COVID-19 testing finished in towers
Late last night, health officials announced they had finished testing residents within the towers at Flemington and North Melbourne.
Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters yesterday authorities would need to wait for all the results to come in and then draw up a “detailed plan” to reduce transmission of COVID-19 among residents.
“I think we need to have a complete picture across those towers, given that there are real communities of interest. There’s patterns of movement. There’s friendship groups. There’s all those things,” Mr Andrews said.
“I again say to every single resident in those towers you will be under these restrictions for not a moment longer than you need to be, for your safety, for your health and welfare, as well as for public health.”
Mr Mahamed said he hoped authorities would inform the residents about any decisions the government made first, rather than leaving them to hear it on the news.
“When they announced the lockdown, we heard it on the news. It was effective immediately and we weren’t given a warning which was very disturbing to us,” he said.
Another resident of the public housing tower in Flemington, Wazi Roba, said rumours were circulating in the building that they could be forced to stay in hard lockdown for another fortnight.
“We have no freedom here. My two-year-old son isn’t able to get fresh air or sunlight. I feel like this is a jail and I’m going to be in prison for weeks,” he said.
Mr Roba said he had been forced to refuse food supplied to his family for the first few days because it was delivered by people not wearing proper personal protective equipment.
“They were just carrying loaves of bread with their bare hands and no gloves or masks. I thought they are going to bring the virus into my home,” he said.
Mr Roba said he understood the lockdown was necessary to help contain the spread of the virus, but said the government could have implemented it much better.
“It’s a good thing to try to control the disease but there are ways to do it, instead of bringing the police in, who are not trained to talk to people and who some of the people here already have a mistrust of,” he said.
“The way the police have been talking to people here it is like we are criminals.
“These people are not criminals. Most of them are families, single mums or dads, there are some good people here.”
Contact reporter Emily McPherson at email@example.com.